Monday, February 06, 2006

Day 2 ...the rest

Jumping out of my comfort zone and just be independant. Its funny that after awhile, you get used to the way of life and slowly be at ease. May it be haggling at prices, digging extra bits of info to speaking to a non-english speaking Khemer.

One might might wonder how to handle such situation where you're in a new world. with no one to guide you. Of cos you could get a guide or just be wild and get a good guidebook and a person you're comfortable to travel with.

Thom was his name after a pleasent flag-down to the Old Market. Speaks good english, pleasent to be around, knows the place well and best of all, a price undeniably lower then the rates at the hotel. My travel with him started off just a casual trip to the Old Market which ended up to the Handicraft center, Wat Bo temple, Royal Garden and back to my hotel. It was then i decided, what the hell, he seems like a nice guy, and so a plan was made and he was my official guide to the temples tomorrow.

A quick shower and nap freshened me up and i was on my way to the Grand hotel for my restaurant review. I hate formality. Being all diplomatic and prim-and-proper was not my idea of a good evening. But i had to go through it. On the consolation, the food was delicious and i was non the wiser to actually ask for more since it was just a taster. My company that night for dinner was the sales manager who originated from Japan and was pleasently surprised of her encounter. But still, being all formal and uppity, discomfort was still lingering and couldn't wait to get out.

Night life here is slowly building up, but its the expats and tourist who dominate them. Pub Street is the 'in' place to be and here we see a whole stretch of pubs, restaurant and massage parlor lined up for our entertainment. What about the Khemer people? Well they usually go home after a days worth of work and for the youngsters, 2 popular spots being the Martini Pub and the latest, Zone One. I haven't been to any because of my schedule or plain laziness.

I headed back to my confort-zone at 10plus. Watched a couple of movies on cable and off i went to dream land.

Big adventure tomo. Must rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home